Ashes spark house fire in Upper Valley

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 1:39pm

A home in the Upper Valley has heavy smoke damage after ashes placed outside caused a fire.

Fire officials said the home owner went outside with her dogs, when she saw smoke and flames in the back patio on the 600 block of Nenna Court.

She was able to escape and call 911 just before 9:30 a.m. Monday.

Nine units with the El Paso Fire Department were able to extinguish the fire within 15 mintues.

No injuries were reported.

Official said, the homeowner cleaned the fireplace Sunday night and placed the burning ashes in a metal can outside underneath the porch. The can caught a cardboard box on fire which then spread to the patio and living room.

Damages are estimated at $10,000.

The El Paso Fire Department said ashes should be stored in a metal container with a tight lid away from structures. The ashes should also be wet down.

Ashes retain enough heat to ignite other combustible materials for up to four days after a fire, officials said.

 

News

Reader Comments

Post new Comment