- Station Info
- Featured on 4
Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 12:53pm
El Paso, TX (KDBC) — It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season while shopping for friends and families.
Bargains! Extreme markdowns! And that nagging feeling that if you don’t buy it today it’ll be gone tomorrow.
Consumers will spend on average $737.95 on gifts, décor, greeting cards and more, according to the National Retail Federation.
To retain control over your checkbook and credit cards, make a holiday budget and stick to it - no matter what. A list of people and how much you want – or can – spend on each is helpful as well.
Better Business Bureau® Serving El paso offers these additional tips:
• Compare prices and shop carefully. “Sales” and “markdowns” are not always bargains. If you put items on layaway, be sure to understand store policies about payments.
• Ask retailers about refund and exchange policies. Make sure you have a receipt and tuck it in with the gift should it need to be returned.
• Whether shopping online or on Main Street, check out the business first at wynco.bbb.org.
• Be informed about your rights when placing orders through catalogs, mail order, TV shopping networks or online venues.
Ask about delivery times, delivery costs and how returns are handled. Before making an online purchase, look for trustmarks such as the BBB Accredited Business Seal and click to confirm that it’s valid.
• Check a website’s security settings. If it’s secure, the URL (Web address) will start with https:// The “s” stands for secure. You also may see a closed lock icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen.
• If you’re shopping online, make sure your computer has the most recent antivirus and security updates.
• Always pay with a credit card should the need arise later to dispute charges.
• Keep the order confirmation and tracking number until the item is received.