Council deleted agenda items requesting additional funding for ballpark

WBBH
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 1:07pm

El Paso City Council decided Tuesday morning the city would not be spending an additional $10 million on the Triple-A baseball stadium. Council members said they would be sticking to the $52.8 million budget, and deleted the items on the agenda regarding an increase in funding.

Tuesday's agenda stated construction engineers needed the money to build the ballpark in time for opening day next April. They said the costs would cover increased construction costs and design costs due to changes in the initial designs for the park. Ballpark Engineer Alan Shubert said last week the city normally gets the full designs drawn up first, but that did not happen in this case because of the rush to secure the purchase of the Tucson Padres for the MountainStar Sports Group and to secure funding.

Shubert said, if not approved, either the ballpark won't be ready for opening day, or amenities promised for the ballpark, such as a certain number of suites and seating, will have to be scaled back. At Tuesday's meeting, council members said they would have bi-monthly meetings with City Manager Joyce Wilson regarding ballpark progress.

Stay with KDBC.com for updates.

News

Reader Comments

Post new Comment