- Station Info
- Featured on 4
Monday, April 21, 2014 - 12:01pm
El Paso, TX — The 18th annual celebration of literacy and health will be held on Saturday, April 26, 2014 at Washington Park, 200 Washington Street, from 11 AM to 4 PM. There will be two additional celebrations; at the Dorris Van Doren Branch Library located at 551 Redd Rd. from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., and at the Esperanza Acosta Moreno Branch Library located at 12480 Pebble Hills, also from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m..
The Library has more than 30,000 books to give away to all the children who attend. Parks and Recreation will have live entertainment and health related activities. Sun Metro will give free bus rides to children between 6 and 18 years of age all day. Activities include live entertainment, food booths, games, free health screenings and more. Admission is free. For more information visit www.elpasolibrary.org or call 543-5433.
The objective of the celebration is to encourage children and parents to become more physically active and to read more. Studies show that reading is one of the most important activities in which a child can take part and is one of the primary variables in the academic and career success of young people.
What you should know:
- Washington Park is located next to the El Paso Zoo
- Children should bring backpacks or reusable bags to carry books
- Admission is free!
- Free parking available at the El Paso County Coliseum
- Free shuttle transport from the coliseum to the park
- Food booths will be available with all the favorite fair type food but picnic lunches are permitted
- Parking will not be permitted near the park entrances
- All games and activities are free
- Sun block and water are always good things to bring
Sun Metro provides free bus rides all day from anywhere in the City for kids 6 to 18 years of age.