- Station Info
- Featured on 4
Tuesday, February 5, 2013 - 9:12pm
EL PASO — President Obama is calling all students, to write an essay that is.
All middle and high school students living in El Paso County are invited to participate.
The topic is "What do you think of President Obama's 2009 and 2013 inaugural speeches?"
How to enter: Follow the rules below, read the two presidential inaugural speeches, and enter online.
The top four essays in both middle and high school will receive prizes:
1st place: Mini IPad
2nd place: $100 Gift certificate
3rd and 4th places: $50 Gift certificates
Every student who enters an essay will receive a personalized certificate
signed by Congressman Beto O'Rourke.
• Eligible students must reside in El Paso County.
• Essays must be original and written by the student entering the contest. One submission per student.
• All essays must be typewritten and submitted in a PDF or MS Word format.
• Entries must include student's name, school, grade, address, email address and/or phone number.
• Essays must be sent as an attached file to PresidentialEssay@andeletutors.com
• Deadline for submission is 5:00 pm on February 8, 2013
• Winners will be notified by email on Lincoln's birthday - February 12, 2013
MIDDLE SCHOOL - Essays must be no less than 200 words nor more than 250 words. You must choose one of two topics to write about:
• What were the most important ideas President Obama described in his 2009 and 2013 inaugural speeches? Which were the same and which were different? Which ones do you agree with the most?
Why? (200-250 words).
• Or - What were the most important ideas President Obama described in his 2009 and 2013 inaugural speeches, Which were the same and which were different? Which ones do you disagree with the most?
Why? (200-250 words)
HIGH SCHOOL - Essays must be no less than 300 words nor more than 350 words. You must choose one of two topics to write about:
· 1. Which programs did President Obama and Congress implement in the past four years that were mentioned in President' Obama's 2009 inaugural speech? Which programs helped the citizens of El Paso most? Why? (300-350 words).
· 2. Or - Which ideas did President Obama mention in the 2013 inaugural speech that you think will be approved by Congress during the next four years? Which of these ideas/policies or programs matter most to you and your family? Why? (300-350 words).