THE BASIC FACTS
- UTEP (6-5) and Colorado State (11-2) ring in the new year with a nationally televised (CBS Sports Network) game on Wednesday, Jan. 2 in Fort Collins.
- UTEP will play two non-conference games in January, including hosting Houston Baptist on Monday, Jan. 14.
- The Miners will tip off the 16-game Conference USA schedule at Tulane next Wednesday (Jan. 9).
- UTEP is playing its first game away from El Paso since Nov. 25. The Miners are 0-4 outside of the Sun City in 2012-13 (0-1 away, 0-3 neutral site).
- UTEP is 1-12 in true road games since the start of the 2011-12 season, including a 60-58 win at Memphis on Feb. 18, 2012.
- The Miners posted a 6-1 record on their season-long seven-game homestand, including a 77-59 exhibition victory over Cameron University in their last action on Friday (Dec. 28).
- UTEP has its first three-game winning streak since February of 2012, when the Miners reeled off four victories in a row within C-USA play.
Colorado State Rams
- The Rams ran their winning streak to five games with an 80-55 victory over Adams State on Saturday at Moby Arena.
- CSU had a 32-4 run spanning over the last five minutes of the first half and the first four minutes of the second half, increasing a 24-20 lead to 56-24.
- Colorado State has a 20-game winning streak at Moby Arena.
- Senior forward/center Colton Iverson leads CSU in scoring (14.5 ppg) and ranks second in rebounding (8.9 rpg). He is a Minnesota transfer.
- Senior guard Dorian Green (12.9 ppg), senior forward Greg Smith (12.0 ppg) and senior forward Pierce Hornung (10.2 ppg) also have double-figure scoring averages.
- Colorado State’s top five scorers are all seniors, including guard Wes Eikmeier (9.9 ppg).
- Hornung is the team’s top rebounder with 9.9 boards per contest.
- In the last NCAA statistical report (Dec. 23), CSU led the country in rebound margin (+14.2 currently), and ranked 12th in turnovers per game (14.5) and 19th in assist/turnover ratio (1.32).
- This is the 72nd meeting between the schools, with UTEP leading the series 46-25.
- Colorado State has won the last six games in the series, including a 56-53 victory at the Don Haskins Center last season.
- CSU leads the ledger 18-15 at Fort Collins.
- UTEP has lost on its last five trips to Fort Collins dating back to an 86-68 triumph on Feb. 29, 1992.
- Colorado State has won nine of the last 10 games between the rivals at Moby Arena.
- This is the first matchup between the schools in Fort Collins since Jan. 10, 1998, an 80-67 Ram victory.
THE LAST MEETING
- Wes Eikmeier made 7-of-8 shots and scored 12 of his 16 points in the second half as Colo- rado State knocked off UTEP, 56-53, on Dec. 28, 2011 at the Haskins Center.
- Eikmeier was 5-for-5 from the field over the last 20 minutes, helping Colorado State shoot 57.9 percent after the break.
- The Rams made 11-of-14 free throws and outrebounded the Miners 27-24.
- After bolting to a 12-6 lead in the early going, the Miners managed just 41 points in the final 30 minutes and nine seconds.
- UTEP shot 43.6 percent on the night and was 3-for-7 from the line in the second half. The Miners were outscored 24-12 in the paint and turned over the ball 15 times.
- The Rams did a nice job containing UTEP’s leading scorer Michael Perez, who shot 2-for-9 from the field for 10 points.
- Gabriel McCulley led the Miners with 13 points, and C.J. Cooper added 11.
- UTEP led 29-27 at the half. Colorado State took the lead for good on a jumper by Eikmeier with 5:18 to play, breaking a 49-49 tie. Eikmeier scored seven of the Rams’ last nine points.
- Trailing by six points (56-50) with two minutes to go, the Miners had a chance to tie the game and send it into overtime. Cooper drained a three with 39 seconds left to cut the deficit in half, but missed another from well past the arc with two seconds left after UTEP got a defensive stop.