UTEP will play for the first time of 2013 when it tips off Conference USA action at Tulsa at 6 p.m. MST Wednesday.
- The game will air on 1150 AM in El Paso.
- The Miners (12-1) have won seven straight, including an 83-56 trouncing of UTPA (12/30).
- The Golden Hurricane (5-8) have won two of the past three and five of eight.
- TU had started the year 0-5.
- UTEP is 10-21 overall in league openers, including 5-14 when doing so on the road.
- Won three straight & are 6-5 in conference lid lifters under the direction of Keitha Adams.
- Record of 5-2 in them since joining C-USA.
- Stood 4-16 in the situation before her tenure.
- Following the game at Tulsa, the Miners will lock up with East Carolina in their 2013 C-USA home opener at 2:05 p.m. MST on Sunday.
STARTING IT OFF RIGHT
- For the second time in program history, UTEP is off to an 12-1 start.
- The 2006-07 squad surged to a mark of 14-1 & finished at 22-8 to record the first 20+ win season at the school.
- The 2011-12 team set the school record for longest winning streak (10) to start the season.
- The Miners boasted a winning record through 10 games for the fourth straight year and the sixth occasion under Keitha Adams.
- Only five teams in 27 years before did so.
- The longest streak was two.
- UTEP opened up at 5-0 for a second straight year & third time overall in program history.
- Never been better than 3-0 in back-to-back years.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Picked up votes in both of the top-25 polls for a third consecutive week.
- 32nd in Coaches’ Poll & 33rd in the AP edition.
- Garnered placement of 6th in the most-recent ESPN.com Midmajor Poll.
- Stand 37th in the RPI (RPIRatings.com)
- Record of 3-0 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Had three players recognized by Conference USA through weekly awards.
- Both Kristine Vitola (11/12) & Kayla Thornton (12/17) were the player of the week while Irene Gari (12/10) was the freshman of the week.
TALKING C-USA HOOPS
- Eight different C-USA schools won at least eight games during non-conference action.
- Three teams, including the Miners, reached double digits in non-league victories.
- UTEP has posted four seasons with at least 10 victories since joining C-USA in 2005-06.
- Miners are 71-41 overall in C-USA contests.
- UTEP has the best winning percentage since the restructure of C-USA in 2005-06. The Miners are 155-74 (.677) in that timeframe.
SUCCESS GALORE IN NON CONFERENCE
- Set the school record for most wins (12) before the start of conference play.
- Prior standard was 11. UTEP was 11-2 heading into C-USA action last year while standing 11-1 at that juncture in 2006-07.
- Overall are 99-57 in non-league play during the Keitha Adams era.
- Posted a school-record eight straight seasons of .500 or better in non-league play.
- It is 75-33 in timeframe, including 23-4 in the past two years.
- The prior record was four (1994-95 to 1997-98).
QUITE A RUN
- UTEP is 41-5 since the start of the 2011-12 season, including 12-1 this year.
- Twenty-eight of those wins, including seven this year, have been by double figures.
- The five losses in the sequence have been by a combined 16 points.
- UTEP is 57-19 since the start of the 2010-11 campaign, with only two of the losses coming by double digits (@ Houston, 61-77, 2/20/11 & @ UCSB, 50-68, 12/11/10).
- The last double-digit home loss came against Kansas State (65-44, 11/14/08).
INSIDE THE SERIES
- UTEP leads the series, 18-10.
- The Miners have won 12 in a row vs. TU & 14 of the past 17.
- Tulsa claimed seven of the first nine meetings.