The New Mexico State men’s tennis team fell 4-1 to top-seed Denver in the semifinal round of the 2013 Western Athletic Conference Championship on Saturday, April 27. NM State concludes the season with a 14-9 overall season record.
NM State took the first point of the day by claiming the doubles point. Wins at the second and third courts secures the first point of the day for the Aggies. Daniel Fernandez and Marc Westgate worked to a 9-8 (4) win at the second court after the No. 1 pair of Aggies fell 9-8 (9).
The point was clinched by NM State at the third court with a final score of 9-8 (6). NM State also took the doubles point against Utah State in the opening round of the tournament, aiding in the win to get a spot in the semifinal match.
NM State and the Pioneers battled in singles play, but Denver was able to come up with four wins to take the match and advance to Sunday’s final match. Aggie Germain Degardin fell (6-2, 6-3) at the fourth court and Westgate dropped at court three 6-2 and 6-3.
Losses at the first and sixth courts secured the win for Denver. Senior Luis Ramirez was downed 6-3 in each of his two sets at the No. 1 spot and Patrick Pfister battled before falling 7-5, 7-5 at the sixth spot.
Fernandez was ahead at court two with a 7-5 win in game one. He fell 4-6 in game two, but was up 1-0 in the third set before the match was called.
The Aggies end the season with two wins over the northern Aggies and a final season record of 14-9.
1. Enej Bonin/Jens Vorkefeld (DEN) def. Luis Ramirez/Paul Denele (NMSU), 9-8(7)
2. Daniel Fernandez/Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Max Krammer/Fabio Biasion (DEN), 9-8(4)
3. Naveen Manivannan/Yannick Blank (NMSU) def. Alex Clinkenbeard/Henry Craig (DEN), 9-8(6)
Order of finish: (1, 2, 3)
1. Enej Bonin (DEN) def. Luis Ramirez (NMSU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMSU) vs. Jens Vorkefeld (DEN), 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 UNF
3. Max Krammer (DEN) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Henry Craig (DEN) def. Germain Degardin (NMSU), 6-2, 61
5. Fabio Biasion (DEN) vs. Paul Danele (NMSU), 4-6, 6-2, 3-3 UNF
6. Alex Clinkenbeard (DEN) def. Patrick Pfister (NMSU), 7-5, 7-5
Order of finish: (4, 3, 1, 6)