EL Paso, TX — The Sun Bowl Association is now accepting applications for the 2013 Sun Court, the deadline to submit an application is June 14, 2013.
Rooted in a tradition that has endured seven decades, the Sun Court competition dates back to 1935 when organizers planned the event as a companion to the first Sun Bowl game. Today the coronation and other Sun Bowl events offer a unique opportunity for young women of El Paso to promote their city, to volunteer as community ambassadors and to be recognized as bright, young civic leaders.
From those early beginnings the Coronation has grown and matured, with the field of entrants increasing steadily and representing an ever-broader cross-section of the El Paso community and surrounding areas. Today the competition is open to all young women and contestants are judged on their poise, communication skills, knowledge and intelligence. The participants must be full time students at a college or university and in good academic standing. The coronation will be held in the summer to have the queen and her court available for activities that include the:
Must Attend Events
• Western Refining College All-America Golf Classic
• FirstLight Federal Credit Union Sun Bowl Parade
• WestStar Bank Don Haskins Sun Bowl Invitational
• Sun Bowl Fan Fiesta
• Hyundai Sun Bowl Game
• Price’s Give ‘Em Five Sun Bowl Punt, Pass & Kick
• Sun Bowl Art Exhibit
• Helen of Troy Charm Camp
• Academy Sports + Outdoors Sun Bowl International Soccer Tournament
Eligibility and Rules
All Sun Princess applicants must fit these criteria in order to be eligible:
• A female between the ages of 18-22 (as of Sept. 1) and have completed one year of college
• Have not been married and have not had any children
• Must be enrolled as a full-time student taking a minimum of 12 academic hours or full time in a graduate program
• A cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (transcript must accompany application)
• Sun Princesses may not hold any other title during the time they are members of the Sun Court (with exceptions)
• MUST be available on Nov. 23-26, Nov. 28 and Dec. 26-31
• Responsible for their own transportation costs to attend mandatory events
To apply please submit: Official application, a professional resume, a color photograph (not larger than 5x7), and an essay (500 words or less) telling us about yourself to include school activities and awards, community involvement, employment and why you want to be a sun princess. This information will be used in press releases. Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org  or deliver it to 4150 Pinnacle St. Suite 100, El Paso, TX. 79902
The deadline to submit an application is June 14, 2013 and all interviews will be held on July 6, 2012. The number of applicants will determine the number of interviews necessary to select the 2013 Sun Princesses. The applicant will be notified of the interview schedule after the application deadline. For questions please call Ana Chavez at (915) 533-4416 ext. 205 or email her at email@example.com .