EL PASO — A downed power line in an East El Paso neighborhood caught a home on fire and left area residents without electricity for several hours.
The power line went down just after two in the afternoon on Trinidad near Wedgewood.
"An electric line next to the house had either failed and made contact with the aluminum siding of the house," said El Paso Fire Department Batalion Chief Vincent Frausto.
From there embers sparked in the attic spreading the fire to different parts of the home while the power line was still active.
Firefighters said the four people inside safely rushed out and more than 2600 homes lost power.
"All the lights went out twice," said Roger Atilano, a resident on Trinidad who was at church at the time. "They dimmed first and then they completely shutdown."
Residents on Trinidad lost their air conditioning in hundred degree weather and the concern became their elderly neighbors and pets.
"We've been checking to see who needs water around here with our neighbors," said Berta Smith.
After the fire was put out El Paso Electric worked on repairing the line.
Lots of residents waited outdoors some opened their windows to help keep themselves and their pets cool.
"We're just glad that everyone is ok," Smith said.
The fire department reported no injuries and the estimated damage to the home is $115,000.
The family will be assisted by the Red Cross.