EL PASO — Investigators with the El Paso Fire Department have determined faulty wiring is to blame in Monday night's church fire.
A fire started just before 9 p.m. Monday at the Full Gospel El Paso Church located at 5318 Harlan Drive.
Firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the roof when the arrived on the scene. The fire was under control within ten minutes.
A fire investigator determined the fire started in the attic space above a room being used for storage and was caused by faulty wiring. Firefighters contained the fire to this room.
Damages have been estimated at $75,000.00.
No one was inside the church at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.
Fire fighters released a list of safety precautions to follow.
Call an electrician if you have any of the following:
• Recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
• A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
• Discolored or warm wall outlets or switches
• A burning smell or rubbery odor coming from an appliance
• Flickering lights
• Sparks from a wall outlet or cracked or broken wall outlets
Fire officials also would like to remind the public that electrical work should be done only by a qualified electrician.