- Station Info
- Featured on 4
El Paso, TX — UTEP (25-7) will play its second straight WNIT home game when it challenges Saint Mary’s (23-9) at 7 p.m. MDT at the Don Haskins Center Monday.
- Tickets are $4 for students, $6 for general admission & $8 for floor seats & may be bought on site or by calling 915-747-5234. Fans are encouraged to arrive early with the GA-style seating.
- The victor will face Colorado (19-14) in the WNIT Sweet 16.
- The Miners, who received an at-large bid to the event, are making their first appearance in the WNIT. UTEP declined a bid in 2013 due a depleted roster as result of injuries.
- It marks the second time in the past three seasons and fourth third occasion overall that the Miners will play postseason basketball.
- Appeared in 2008 & 2012 NCAA Tournaments.
- Earned at-large bid as #7 seed in 2008.
- Beat #10 seed Western Kentucky, 92-60 (3/22/08) in the first round of ‘08 “Big Dance.”
- Bowed out with 88-54 loss at two-seed & #4 nationally Stanford (3/24/08). Stanford ultimately lost in the NCAA title game.
- Awarded a #13 seed at 2012 NCAA Tournament, in spite of 29-3 record & winning both the C-USA regular-season & tournament title.
- Faced #4 seed & #12 in polls Penn State in the 2012 NCAA First Round. Tied at the half (39-39) before eventually falling, 85-77, (3/18/12).
- Fans can stay-up-date by following the Miners on twitter (@UTEPWBB) or listening live on 1150 AM with Mark Brunner and Traci Miller.
- This will be the third straight & the ninth game in program history that both the Miners & opponent have 20+ wins. UTEP is 5-3 all time in the situation.
THIRD-BEST IN TEXAS SINCE 06-07
- The Miners have the third-most wins among all DI programs in Texas since 2006-07.
- Recent national champions Baylor (244-40) & Texas A&M (213-65) lead the way.
- UTEP has a firm grip on third (176-75).
- Lamar (159-95, 4th), Texas (153-107-5th), TCU (151-103-6th), SMU (148-100-7th), Prairie View A&M (148-111-8th), Texas Tech (136-122-9th) and Stephen F. Austin (135-111) wrap the top-10.
QUITE A RUN
- UTEP is 76-21 since the start of the 2011-12 season, including 25-7 this year.
- Have registered 54 double-digit wins in stretch.
- Only five double-digit losses in time frame.
- Aiding record were 10 winning streaks of at least three games. The breakdown is as follows:
15 game (12/31/11 through 2/23/12)
10 game (11/12/11 through 12/17/11)
9 game (12/1/12 through 1/13/13)
9 game (11/8/13 through 12/15/13)
7 game (1/22/14 through 2/15/14)
5 game (11/0/12 through 11/23/12)
4 game (3/1/12 through 3/10/12)
3 game (1/24/13 through 1/27/13)
3 game (3/8/13 through 3/14/13)
3 game (2/22/14 through 3/1/14)
- Contrast that with one three-game losing skid.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- First meeting between the programs.
- Senior Kayla Thornton secured First-Team All-Conference USA honors while also earning placement on the five-member All-Defensive squad, the league office revealed on March 9.
- Thornton, a second-team honoree in 2012 and 2013, becomes the second Miner in program history to garner at least three all-conference accolades (Jareica Hughes, four, 2007-10).
- Thornton also joins Hughes as the lone players in school history to be a two-time member of the All-Defensive squad. Thornton was also tabbed to the team last year & Hughes was in ‘07 & ‘08.
- UTEP has now been recognized on an all-conference squad for eight straight years.
- Redshirt-sophomore guard Jenzel Nash was named the 2014 Conference USA Women’s Basketball Sixth Player of the Year, the league office revealed March 10.
- It marks the third time in the past four years that the Miners have secured the award, with former standout Gloria Brown being so recognized in 2011 and 2012.
- Thornton was also tabbed to the C-USA All Tournament team, marking her second such selection during her four-year career.
LAST TIME OUT
UTEP 74, Arkansas State 64 (WNIT Round One)
- Senior Kayla Thornton poured in the second-most points (28) by a Miner in a postseason game to help UTEP advance to the second round of the WNIT with a 74-64 win against Sun Belt Conference champion Arkansas State in front of 4,500 fans at the Haskins Center March 21.
- The game was tied (33-33) at the break and the margin was one (38-37) with 18:16 to play in the contest before UTEP found another level. Spurred on by the enthusiastic crowd, the Miners peeled off 11 straight points in a span of less than five minutes.
- The Red Wolves were stunned by the surge, and never got closer than six the rest of the way out. The cushion was 10+ points over the final 10 minutes of the game, and it swelled to as many as 16.
- Chrishauna Parker buoyed Thornton with a double-double (12 points, 11 boards) while Sparkle Taylor (12 points) and Kristine Vitola (11 points) also hit double figures in scoring.
- UTEP nailed 46.7 percent (28-of-60) of its attempts & won rebounding battle, 40-35.
GETTING TO KNOW SAINT MARY’S
(23-9, 12-4 home, 8-6 away & 1-1 neutral )
- Eighth postseason appearance since 2000 & ninth in program history.
- Fifth straight time for playing in WNIT.
- High-octane attack that produces 77.1 ppg (31st nation). Aiding it is hitting 79.0% from the free-throw line (4th nation) and nailing 36.9% on threes (19th) and making
- Four players in double figures for scoring in the form of Jackie Nared (21.9), Danielle Mauldin (17.3), Kate Gaze (12.6) & Lauren Nicholson (12.4).
- Great rebounding team (+7.5-25th nation), with Mauldin (13.3) & Nared (7.5) leading the way.
- RPI of 48 & has wins at Pac-12 champions USC (34), BYU (38), San Diego twice (53), Alabama (78) and Washington (88).
- Notable alumni include the late Harry Hooper (Baseball Hall of Fame member & only man to play on four Red Sox World Championship teams), the late Tony Martin (Hollywood Walf of Fame) and Dr. Carl Wu (distinguished cancer researcher).
801 N. Oregon, El Paso, Texas 79902 • (915) 532-5421 • email@example.com
Copyright © 2014 Titan TV Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved